While expectations are building up for further rate cut in India as well, the bankers here believe that a zero-level rate does not seem likely even remotely.
“That (0% interest rate) looks very difficult in India. Given the liquidity situation and macroeconomic factors, interest rate below one per cent seems a highly unlikely proposition,” UCO Bank Chairman and MD S K Goel said.
But, it is not the case with the US and Japan, as well as some other economies where a zero-interest rate is being talked as quite a possibility in the current economic scenario when borrowers are hard to find and liquidity is not enough.
Under a zero interest rate policy, which is also known as Quantitative Monetary Easing Policy, a central bank uses money supply, rather than interest rate, as the main monetary easing tool.
When Japan slashed its benchmark rate to 0% for five years between 2001 and 2006, it was mainly to fight deflation concerns and revive economic growth.
However, a zero benchmark rate does not guarantee nil interest cost for consumers or corporate borrowers. It applies only to the banks parking their funds with the apex bank and borrowing from each other. The interest rates applicable to the consumers and corporate customers, however, tend to decline considerably.
Subscribe for free to receive hot Pune real estate news, views and reviews:1) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Market News Blog
2) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Investment Blog
3) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Advertising and Marketing Blog
4) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Blog
5) Please, feel free to call me on my mobile +91 98600 44110! I enjoy talking, sharing my views and giving advice about buying property in Pune real estate market (so i do not charge anything for the first 8 minutes!)
6) Please, join me on Friendfeed, to share news articles, family photos, interesting links and videos and let us discover and discuss information!
Visit Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Blog Group and join for free to receive updates of all blogs!
real estate Indian real estate Pune real estate Pune news Pune news Pune real estate news Pune real estate market Pune real estate market news blog Pune real estate blog Pune property blog Pune realty Pune real estate investment Pune real estate marketing upcoming and ongoing real estate projects in Pune current property rates in Pune latest real estate prices Ravi Karandeekar 91 98600 44110 Friendfeed Ravi Karandeekar\'s Pune Real Estate Blog Group Google Groups